Dr. Z. nominated me for a Liebster Award. I’ve never been nomiated for any awards before…I think she’s trying to make sure I’m still alive. I am – really! There just haven’t been any blog worthy happenings lately. Thanks Dr. Z for giving me something to write about!
1. Post award on your blog.
2. Thank the blogger who presented this award to you and link back to their blog.
3. Write 11 random facts about yourself.
4. Nominate 11 blogs who you deserve this award and who have fewer than 200 followers.*
5. Answer the 11 questions posted by the presenter and ask your nominees 11 questions.
A note here before I begin – I won’t actually be nominating anyone. Not that I don’t read some fantastic, award worthy blogs! Just look at my side bar. Every one of those listed are awesome. But many of my blog-friends have already been nominated. Also, I don’t want anyone to feel like the have to participate. But if you want to participate, by all means, do so! The Questions from Dr. Z’s post are pretty good, so I’d say roll with those.
Eleven Random Things:
1. I am 100% childfree by choice and at 36 years old, not likely to change my mind. I have never cared for children and I don’t enjoy their company. It’s as simple as that.
2. My biggest pet peeve is someone trying to convince me that I will like something if I only try it/try it their way/try it again, especially food. This rarely (if ever) winds up being true, and generally serves to royally piss me off. If I hear “you don’t like X? That’s because you’ve never had it the way I make it!” one more time, I will scream.
3. I am terrible at math. Actually, I just am not good with numbers, whether it’s calculating them or remembering them. Dates, phone numbers, addresses, recipes – you name it, I’ll forget it. No, it won’t help if you tutor me. And no it’s not math anxiety. It doesn’t make me anxious at all, because it just is and always has been.
4. I also cannot read a map for beans. I don’t know why. I need landmarks, dammit.
5. I absolutely love pizza, and will eat way too much if I’m not careful.
6. I should never, ever be given a plant. It will die.
7. I can’t wear a watch at all, and haven’t been able to for years. It is guaranteed to stop running or goof up in some way after short-term prolonged contact with my body. Yes, even nice ones.
8. I have a serious thing for giant lizards and lizard-like creatures. Dragons are my first, best love, followed closely by the T. Rex and Godzilla. I sat through Transformers: Age of Extinction just to see Grimlock for a brief few moments, and would do it again!
9. As much as I love my current job and the company I work for, I sometimes miss being a legal secretary/assistant. I wish I’d gotten the chance to be a real paralegal while what I learned in college was still fresh in my mind. I honestly doubt I could do it now, and that makes me really sad.
10. I have no artistic talent whatsoever. The only thing I can draw is an eye. An eye, not both.
11. I was born and raised in the Beckley, West Virginia area, and lived there until 2011. But I do not, and never have, considered it home. I hate going back so much that I only do it once a year and then only for a weekend at a time.
1. When and why did you start blogging?
I’ve been “blogging” off and on since I got on the internet around 2002. I started at Diaryland and Diary-X, and then moved on to LiveJournal. Some of my blogs have been private, some anonymous, and some very public. When I started, it was to journal more than anything else. Then, when I discovered LiveJournal, the social aspects came into play as a lot of my friends used the site and I made several new ones (I met my husband there, actually, though we wouldn’t begin a relationship until many years later). I actually loved LiveJournal and would have stayed on the site if it hadn’t gone to pot! I’m not 100% sure what my objective is with Betwixt Two Graves. When I started it, I thought I had something interesting to say. I’m less sure about that these days.
2. With MP3s and internet streaming, do you still buy CDs and DVDs?
No. I haven’t bought a CD in so long, I can’t even remember when it was. I’m not sure when I stopped, really, but I think it was six months or a year before I left West Virginia. I do buy my MP3s, rather than do free streaming. This is partly to support the artists but partly because, like radio, I find that I hate most of what gets played. I do really miss the Sonic Cathedral Sirens station on Live365, though. I was introduced to a lot of great artists via that station.
3. How would you describe your style of dress?
My preferred style is Victorian or Romantigoth. I like long skirts, high collars, velvet, and lace; cameos, chokers, and tall, sturdy boots. I love corsets but I have very few occasions to wear them, and thus don’t buy as many as I’d like. I work as an admin in a very conservative industry, though, so I tend more toward the CorpGoth most days. Even so, my look is dark, and I try to work in a touch of Victorian or 40s style glamour when I can.
4. What religion or philosophy do you ascribe to?
I jokingly say I’m a Pagan Nutjob. It’s as good a name as any for my weird brand of eclectic Pagan weirdness.
5. What are your favorite TV shows on the air right now?
I used to watch tons of TV, before I moved in with my husband. Now, not so much, because he hates TV as a general rule. Arrow, Flash, Downton Abbey, Mr. Selfridge, and Archer are shows we actually watch. We liked Community for a while. And we do watch Game of Thrones, though I’m starting to wonder where they’re trying to take the show (it’s veered so far away from the books at this point).
6. What other hobbies do you participate in, besides blogging?
I read. A LOT. It is not unusual for me to be reading one book on my Fire on the bus, a different book on my Fire/regular kindle one the treadmill, and also have a hard copy book in the living room that I read while Alex plays video games, writes, or watches something I’m not interested in. I used to like video games, and I do still play Pokemon or something on the DS once in a while but I’ve never been a “gamer” and I like them a lot less than I used to. Sometimes, we play board games/RPGs on the weekends. My mother made me learn to embroider, and sometimes I will paint a ceramic thing, but for the most part I don’t enjoy crafts at all and I don’t “DIY.” I hate pretty much every sport known to man, and I’m just not competitive. Workouts are work for me, and I go to the gym because I have to – not because I enjoy exercise!
7. If you participate in the arts, which ones do you participate in? Are you a hobbyist or professional?
I’m not artistic at all myself, unless you count makeup! But we do love seeing plays, opera, ballet, musicals, and the NSO. Living outside of DC gives us lots of opportunities to see things at The Kennedy Center and Shakespeare Theater, plus we have a musical theater right in our neighborhood. We also really like good stand up comedy.
8. If a movie was made of your life, which actor/actress would play you?
I love Natalie Dormer. I’m not sure what it is about her, but if I got to choose, I’d pick her.
9. Choose one: Coffee or Tea?
Coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee! I actually despise the taste of tea.
10. What colors have you dyed your hair?
I kept it black for a long time, and once dyed it a really ugly red to please an ex. I developed an allergy to the PPD found in dye back in college, so it’s been boring, dull brown for a long time. I can use Manic Panic, but it’s a waste of time (I must wash my hair every day). I did once accidentally turn it a nasty shade of green (black Manic Panic over bad highlights will do that) if that counts.
11. Introvert, extrovert, or ambivert?
Introvert. I’d rather be someplace quiet reading a book…